Academy of Technical Sciences from Romania (ASTR) is the national forum of leading figures in the field of engineering, debate and promotion actions through the application of new knowledge to lead the progress of Romanian society. It is autonomous, non-governmental and apolitical, with a non-profit activity and is recognized as being of public utility.
The main directions are:
• To promote cooperation within the field of Engineering in Romania, in the European Countries and in other countries so as to ensure concentration of efforts in the resolution of technical, economical and social problems by the development of R&D activities
• To promote engineering education in accordance with the scientific progresses, better education and new skills, to increase the youth attractiveness for the engineering activities, physics and mathematics.
• To promote the understanding of new technologies among the authorities and the public to the benefit of society and industrial development in Romania.
• To promote some permanent contacts with the economic industrial sector, to increase the contribution of non-academic environment to the industrial development of Romania.
• The preservations of Romanian’s engineering heritage, contributions to the scientific world's treasure.
• To build international relations in developing bi and multilateral projects, an active participation in the R&D European Programs.
• To support innovation and facilitate the transfer of technology, and understanding the role of engineering sciences as driver of the society.
• To support technical publication, organizing events and awards for scientifically outstanding work in the field of Engineering Sciences.
Committees / main working groups:
The leadership of ASTR is: The General Assembly, the Presidium and the Presidium Office
The General Assembly is composed by all the titular and correspondent members and is the supreme governing body.
The ASTR Presidium assures the leadership between the general assemblies and consists of: the President, the Vice-Presidents, the Secretary-General, the chairmen of departments and subsidiaries.
The Office Presidium consists of: the President, Vice - presidents and Secretary General and leads the ASTR Presidium between sessions, being constituted as executive and operative in achieving the tasks set by the Presidium.
The President represents ASTR in the national and international relationships and it is credit sequencer.
The activity takes place in the framework of the ten (10) sections whose profile is:
1. Technical Mechanics
2. Mechanical Engineering
3. Electro-technique – Energetic
4. Electronics – Automatic
5. Informatics and Communications Technology, Computers, Telecommunications
6. Constructions and Urbanism
7. Transport Engineering
8. Chemical Engineering
9. Material Engineering
10. Petroleum Engineering, Mines and Geonomy
In case of interdisciplinary topics, ad-hoc working groups are forming from members of various sections.
Examples of topics being subject to such working groups: non-conventional energy Romanian sources energy, petrochemicals and future approaches, re-industrialization, industrial, energy and the environment.
In the territory (Timisoara, Cluj and Iasi), the Academy has three branch of which develops policies and actions proposed by ASTR, but at the local level they develop other actions as well.
- Academy of Technical Sciences in Romania (ATSR) organized the international conference “Days of Academy of Technical Sciences in Romania” with topic "Companies development through innovation", in city of Galati, a heavily industrialized center in the shipping industry, machine building and metallurgy. Reports presented and contacts established between specialists from industry and research led to promote new knowledge and establish future projects.
ATSR supported organizing a number of 15 scientific national conferences.
- In order attracting young people to research, ATSR developed a series of themed student contests, Master and PhD preparation support, organized exhibitions of inventions and innovations for students and participated on updating the academic curriculum for engineers. ATSR initiated a research program funded by industrial companies open to young researchers in Romania.
- ATSR members participated in European research programs and organized international events in Romania like the Balkan Mining Congress, WEC-FOREN, International Conference on Communication.
ATSR proposed a specialist for Airbus Group project, development of an airplane powered by electricity, for "power management / distribution across large current / voltage scales" section.